Thursday 21 July 2011

Picturesque Perfect Pokhara :o))


It feels great to be back in Pokhara, I love the way it is so laid back. It’s easy to spend all day in a lakeside restaurant chatting over a massala tea or a beer or two. Its almost like being on a beach, there are a few hippies lost in in time here. You can swing in a hammock while reading your book. The owner of my favourite restaurant is trying to get the Goa atmosphere, i can’t comment as i’ve never been to Goa, but it works for me.
I’ve met loads of interesting people, one being Nicola an Australian lady who has been living in Pokhara for eight years, she came here as a volunteer and ended up getting married to a Nepalese guy and owning a bar. I was fascinated to hear about her marrying a Nepalese guy, he is now in Australia, volunteering. Nicola says she has  a typical Nepalese marriage (not sure if I believe her) she loves her husband but could never live with him, as they would fight like cat and dog….sounds all a bit sad to me. Kate from Tasmania, she is such great company and every time we meet up we are always the last ones to leave the bar…oops!! :o)
I asked Binod, the owner of one of one of my regular haunts, if he had an half an hour to spare to show me how to ride a scooter. Fair play to him, he took me sightseeing for the whole day. We spent the whole time laughing…it has got to be one of my best days yet! Thank you Binod :o). We had a delightful meal in the most gorgeous Lakeview setting, shame I didn’t take my camera. I’m feeling quite confident about hiring a scooter on my travels.
Fewa Lake, Lakeside
a mother and child I met while having a rest in a local park
I came across some kind of festival going on


views from "Don't Pass Me By Resturant" at Fewa Lake, Damside

Binod and Kate
Binod, Kate and me
going crazy to "Born to be Wild"
I must learn to pull more flattering funny faces, I just end up looking ridiculous!! Oh well
David, Binod and me...bbbbooorrrrrnn to be wwwwiiiiiilllld!!!!


see what i mean....ridiculous!!
David is part of a group who are travelling overland from the UK to Australia by truck. There are 40 people in total, it’s going to take seven and a half months, I think they done three and a half  months so far. They have been camping along the way and are having some time out from each other on a “holiday” in Nepal. Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever way you look at it, the Tibetan/China boarder is closed, so the truck has had to turn back to the UK. They are now going to be guided overland by public transport, I think some are talking the opportunity to go off on their own. I’m not sure how I would feel about travelling with such a large group, I suppose it would take away the overwhelm of… where am I going and how do I get there? But on the other hand…its nice just to come across somewhere and say..i’ll park up here for a while…or …I don’t like this place..i’m outta here!
Fewa Lake
Kids begging in Pokhara City
Views of the Annapurna Mountains from Fewa Lake, Lakeside, Pokhara

Machhapuchchhre (Fishtail) Mountain view
Devils Fall
I got lost looking for Devil's Fall, these three boys helped me and guided me around for 2 hours and then put me on the right bus. What great kids :o)



1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are still having such a fantastic time. I love the photo of Machhapuchchhre (Fishtail) Mountain view. Excellent. X

    ReplyDelete