Monday 4 April 2011

Arrived!


Saturday 2nd April
After a horrible 6 hours door to door journey the jeep dropped me off outside the school, I was met by about 5 or 6 children running down the path saying “hello miss..what’s your name? There were about 50 children who couldn’t wait to meet me. Gorgeous smiles and so unspoilt. “Sit here miss..can I get you a drink miss? My name is ….it was just so beautiful. The principal look me to my accommodation. A basic but clean two bedroom apartment with my own bathroom and kitchen. I also have a balcony with the most outstanding views. I was expecting to stay in a spider, flee infested shack so that was a wonderful surprise. We went back to the school had dinner and met up with the other four lady volunteers. One America, two Dutch and one English. They are really friendly. It’s Sunday tomorrow so we are going to make a trip to Jotherang. I start teaching on Wednesday..that should be fun! Lucky for me all the others are qualified so I’m going to sit in on their lessons so I can get some kind of idea what to do.
All the children sleep in one room, there are about 60 of them. Two to a bed. Most of them look about 5-7, hard to tell as they all look so small. After prayers one of the volunteers read them a bedtime story while we all sat on the floor hanging on every word. Then the kids gave you kisses and hugs before they retired to bed. What an extraordinary day which I am just so grateful to be lucky enough to experience.
Hard getting used to hardly cold washes and limited electricity. The kids make it all worth while. Pictures to follow soon.

1 comment:

  1. What happened on the jeep jurney ? after the trip tho it sounds wonderfull Liz. Glad you got a nice room. No need for the cleaning suitcase ! Can't wait to see the pictures. Dont forget the update on the food front. All the new tastes and food ! Happy you are happy. :0)

    ReplyDelete