Sunday 8 May 2011

Khecheopalri Lake


Last Saturday I went to Khecheopalri Lake, I waited 2 hours for a jeep, I eventually arrived at the lake about 4.15pm, it had been raining all day so I was a bit worried about leeches. I took a quick walk to the lake. It was a lonely experience as there was no one else around. I booked into the worst guest house I’ve ever been in, he asked me if I wanted to book dinner…errr…I don’t think so mate! I went looking for a bar, I asked the only person I saw if there was any chance of getting a beer, he opened up an old wooden hut, served me a beer and then went. Was strange sitting there on my own in a lonely shack? I was just about to go and in walked in a lovely American couple. So I stayed for a while chatting to them. Woke up in the morning covered in fee bites and headed back to Pelling (1 ½ hours away). I waited all day for a jeep back to the school, which didn’t turn up! So I had an extra night in Pelling.
I met a lovely young lady on the jeep journey back to the school. She insisted on giving me a chocolate bar and also paid for my jeep ride. I had a chat with the jeep driver after she got off, he delivered some items to a shop on route and also bought me some sweets. People are so kind, maybe i look too thin!
Arrived back to the school on Monday. The weather is getting worse so two hours of power is a bonus.
Catherine (English volunteer) and I went into Soreng for a drink Wednesday afternoon as she left for Nepal on Thursday. We had such a laugh, we started off at O’Neil’s and then went to Yates…(they weren’t really called that) more like shack one and shack two. It was a great experience. Cathy is great fun and we plan to meet up again in Nepal. The lovely Indian couple also left on Thursday. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, Just got a pc where I can do things. Its well sut down over here. PLEASE look after yourself. Rice is good for you but V BORING. Saw a mark - 000001 post box today. It had two legs and a bag ! lol. also a Mark -XXVXC Roman bin here open top no restriction on tipping, think its called the melong ! Have updated my blog. and now watching yours. Crossing into Cambodia tomorrow by boat. Take care Liz and Eat ! (like I should follow my own words !)

    ReplyDelete